11th Standing International Conference on the
History of Adult Education
in Bamberg, Germany, Sept. 27 to Oct. 1, 2006
On Becoming an Adult Educator
- historical, contemporary, institutionalised, individual aspects.
This conference invited all colleagues, experts, researchers and practitioners to exchange their research and knowledge about "Becoming an Adult Educator". This conference-theme includes a wide range of different questions and descriptions:
- How did important (historic) personalities / individuals "became adult educators"?
- Volunteers, "Moonlighters", moral leaders, knowledge-experts, (semi-)professionals - historic examples and developments.
- In which different ways in different times/countries/cultures one became an "Adult Educator"?
- Are there / had there been different types / categories of adult educators?
- What are the knowledge / the competencies / the attitudes expected from adult educators in different historic and contemporary movements / institutions / traditions?
- What are individual growth- and learning processes adult educators go through?
- What training schemes are available?
- Certification of adult educators?
- Is an adult educator a teacher? - Professional roles of adult educators.
Download of the papers:
These conferences brought together again international researchers, scholars, and professionals and
gave the chance to meet international collegues, perhaps old and certainly new friends,
offered the exchange between experts, and
let experience the 1000-year old Bamberg, UNESCOs world heritage, with its romantic streets, beer-gardens with the unique smoked beer, cathedral and the cityhall in the middle of the river.
Prof. Mark Bray, Hong Kong, President of World Council of Comparative Education Societies (WCCES), Director of UNESCO's International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP), Paris.
Prof. Dr. Paul Bélanger, Montreal, President International Council for Adult Education. Former Director UNESCO Institute for Education Hamburg.
Prof. Dr. Alexander Charters, Syracuse University, New York, USA.
Prof. Dr. Dusan Savicevic, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia.
Prof. Alan Knox PhD, Madison WI, USA, Past President of American Association for Adult and Continuing Education AAACE